Friday, October 16, 2015

Meet Kristin Magette - School PR Pro

 
Kristin Magette 
Eudora Public Schools


1. How did you get your start in education and School PR?
 
A product of the long-respected Shawnee Mission (KS) School District, I graduated from Kansas State University's School of Journalism with a degree in public relations in 1999. Before graduating, an internship at the Sprint world headquarters in Kansas City helped me discover that corporate life was not really my thing. Once I had my diploma, I worked in the higher education and non-profit worlds, including two stints with my alma mater. But a relocation across the state in 2006 meant looking for a new job. Married to a fantastic high school science teacher, we chose a new community when he accepted a job teaching anatomy and physiology at Eudora High School. As much as I loved higher ed, I focused on finding the next right thing, without worrying too much about finding the exact right thing. But when an ad ran just a few days later that the school district in little Eudora (population 6,000) was looking for a communications director, I realized that this could well be more than just the next right thing.

In the 9+ years since, I have found school public relations to be my favorite thing and perfect fit. For starters, I've always loved school, and I especially love public education. The person and professional I am today is the product of public education in Kansas, and I want my kids (kindergarten and fourth grade) to have those same opportunities. Being married to a teacher makes my work even more rewarding, despite the challenges that come during salary negotiations and other natural times of conflict. I work even harder to ensure that we meet the needs of our internal audiences because I know first-hand how much it matters.

I never saw myself working in school PR -- like so many others, I had little idea these jobs even existed when I was walking across the stage with a K-State diploma! But now that I'm here, I can't imagine myself this professionally satisfied anywhere else.

2. What is your favorite part of the job?
 
Collaborating to solve problems! So much of what we do is focused around the tactical outputs -- website updates, news releases, special events. I enjoy those types of results, but my favorite moments in this work come when we explore ways we can solve problems and making things better. I am hungry for the chance to collaborate with my superintendent, support our board members and our principals, devise meaningful ways to engage parents and community members, and deliver both student support and employee recognition. These efforts are rooted in strategic thinking, research and planning.

I'd be completely remiss, however, if I leave out my other favorite part of my job, which is equally rewarding: my KanSPRA and NSPRA network of colleagues. To this day, I believe that my school PR colleagues are the smartest, hardest working, funniest and most generous professionals in the business. They are the most welcoming, connected and encouraging colleagues I could wish for, and they keep me going (and laughing!) whenever it feels like the walls are starting to cave in.

3. What piece of advice can you give to other School PR pros?

Be patient. In a system and world that's largely out of our control, it's easy to get discouraged when problems persist, leaders aren't listening, and needed change lags at a snail's pace. If there's one thing I've learned since July 2006 -- through the good, the bad and the (sometimes very) ugly -- it's that time is our ally. 

Certainly, there are critical times that demand responsiveness -- we must be able to act quickly and do our best thinking on our feet. (I can't imagine a great school PR pro who doesn't appreciate a good adrenaline rush every now and then.) But there is so much value in taking the long view because the seeds we plant every day take time to grow. The counseling we provide to leaders may not sink in until weeks, months or even years later. A brand requires time to be understood and accepted. Cultural changes in our school systems demand years to truly replace the status quo. At different times, this dynamic can feel frustrating, unfulfilling and futile. But knowing that we are a driving force behind meaningful, if incremental change -- that's an amazing opportunity we should never pass up.

So how do we get by in the meantime, when we feel stuck? Remember why we're here. It's the kids and the teachers. There are very few things in life that are as joyful and important as the things that happen in our classrooms every single day. Kids are inspiring. Teachers are heroic. Schools are incredible places. And no matter how slow moving the needle might be at any given time, I just feel flat-out lucky to get to do what I do.

4. What are three things you think will change the landscape of School PR in the next five years?
 
A change that immediately come to mind is the wide-reaching effects of the digital world on virtually everything our school systems do, including communication, professional development, teaching and learning, advocacy, stakeholder engagement. We must keep learning, adapting and embracing in order to remain relevant and effective.

Next, the growing diversity of our stakeholders -- our students, their families, our employees and all our other taxpayers -- means growing and changing needs. Like the broad impact of the digital world, the increasing diversity in our communities will challenge us to understand new viewpoints, value systems and life experiences, in order to communicate effectively and deliver value and meaning accordingly. Sensitivity, empathy and a genuine interest in serving others -- even when it feels unfamiliar or uncomfortable -- will be key to our success as professionals in school PR.

Finally, I recently read about the disappearance of the CIO function in some major American corporations. The argument was that, because communications is so fundamental to an organization, the role is inherent in every leader and, therefore, a shared leadership responsibility. It doesn't take much imagination to see school boards or superintendents following this same reasoning, especially when budgets are tight. Therefore, it has never been more important for us, as strategic communications professionals, to demonstrate that our value far transcends news releases and website updates. We must show ourselves as strategic thinkers and advisers who fill a niche role that cannot be absorbed by busy principals, directors and secretaries. We must work for our seat at the table, and we must consistently deliver value to the leaders and professionals across our district. 

5. Where can people find out more about you?
 
Twitter: @kmagette
Book: Embracing Social Media, A Practical Guide to Manage Risks and Leverage Opportunities (available through NSPRA and other online book retailers)

No comments:

Post a Comment