Friday, October 9, 2015

Meet Brian Woodland - School PR Pro



Brian Woodland, APR
Director of Communications & Community Relations

1. How did you get you start in education and School PR?

A long time ago. As #teenson would say "before the light bulb"!

After obtaining a masters in political science, I found a government grant job in 1983 working on a program to create an adult literacy hotline in Hamilton, Ontario.  I chose the tasks that interested me: doing media, advertising, fining new grant funds. I loved it.

And when the hotline was fully funded, I was the program coordinator.  As coordinator, I wrote a report that was fairly critical of the job local school boards did in terms of adult literacy. One of those boards said that they found it refreshing and so I applied and starred working in 1985 at the Hamilton Wentworth Catholic School Board as Manager of Communications in Con Ed. It was a great opportunity. That led to a Communications Officer role in the Halton Board-District of about 43,000.  I was there six years. It was an amazing opportunity for an under 20 year old not trained in public relations. 

Then, over 20 years ago, I moved to the Peel District School Board. It's the second largest school district in Canada with about 150,000 students. And I love it here. Hence the 20 years

2. What is your favorite part of the job?

First: the opportunity to make a difference every day. Our team mission is "what have you done for students today?" and it truly guides our work and inspires me no matter what the obstacles. I particularly love this work in a district that is highly diverse.

Second: my astounding, talented, caring and powerful team. They never settle for good work, never hesitate to innovate and truly focus on students.

Third: got to say I do love media relations and public affairs. Really.

3. What piece of advice can you give other School PR pros?

Don't limit yourself to PR: be in the operational, the real work of your district.  And be the powerful, endless, determined voice for real inclusion in your district. We have influence. We need to use it for good.  With great power....

4. What are three things you think will change the landscape of School PR the next five years?

Evolving nature of media.  You need to be organizationally and personally authentic on social media (not a robot). And the complicated, challenging and sometimes daunting task of building genuine inclusion for all staff and students. Including LGBTQ. In the future we will be judged on our success-or failure- to do so.

5. Where can people find out more about you? Twitter? Blog?

Always on Twitter. Always. Brian_Woodland.

No comments:

Post a Comment