Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Meet Jason Wheeler (Me) - School PR Pro

Since I was doing these School PR spotlights, I thought I would introduce myself by answering the same questions as my colleagues.  Here are my thoughts...

Jason Wheeler
Marketing Coordinator, CFBISD 

1. How did you get your start in education and School PR?

I graduated from Texas A&M University in 2000 and still had no real clue as to what I wanted to do.  This was right after the Dot Com Bubble burst, and not many marketing or advertising firms were hiring.  In fact, no one was hiring.

Getting scared, and slightly embarrassed about being unemployed, I took a job as a salesperson for an image company in Dallas.  I worked for the company for little over a year doing fairly well, but hating every minute of the job.  While I was at my brother’s football game, I ran into my former assistant principal from when I was in high school and she suggested I apply for a teaching position at her new school.

Five years in middle school and eight years in high school I was everything from a Texas history teacher to the Director of a Video Production and Graphic Design Academy at a high school in Carrollton, Texas that was called AMAT.  It was this academy position that introduced me to the School PR World.  Having access to high quality video equipment, I was the go to guy to create video marketing pieces for the school district.

After partnering with the Public Relations Department for four years, I made the transition to my current assignment as Marketing Coordinator for the Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District. This was the same district I grew up in, and the same district I have spent the last 14 years as an educator.

2. What is your favorite part of the job?

I love combing creativity with data and statistics.  I love being strategic in everything I do. I have a strong passion for marketing, and feel there has been a shift in public education where it is needed now more than ever. It is also a plus to interact with so many different people on a daily basis.  From community partners to other PR Pros, I have met many interesting people.

3. What piece of advice can you give other School PR pros?

Be passionate about what you do.  People know when you are faking it.  From building a newsletter to speaking in front 1,000 parents at a community rally, make sure you are excited about public education and the schools that make up your district.  The more excited you are, the more excited your audience is going to be.

4. What are three things you think will change the landscape of School PR the next five years?

First, I think we are seeing a big shift in public education. We have more competition now than we ever have before. From online institutes to private and charter schools, we can no longer expect children in our community to choose our schools. It is very important that school districts invest in marketing and public relations to spread the word of the great things public education is achieving.

Second, I think we can no longer win with traditional School PR. The days of just creating a newsletter and getting your parents and community excited is a thing of the past.  I feel the next breakthrough in school marketing will be the discipline of Content Marketing.  Direct advertising no longer works.  People want help solving their problems and concerns, especially when it comes to their child’s schooling. We need to create content that will make them confident they are making the best choice for their child’s education.

Third, I think social media is a great way to still reach parents, students and the community.  No other advertising medium allows us to target micro-groups like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Use these networks to have a conversation with niche audiences for the niche programs you offer. Right now it is the cheapest form of advertising and could possibly be the biggest bang for your buck, and create incredible return on your investment.

5. Where can people find out more about you? Twitter? Blog?

The best place to interact with me is on Twitter (@WheelerCFB) and you can read my blog at www.socialmediaschoolhouse.com.

You can also connect with me on LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment